The coding phase of the Summer of Code is now over (for two days already).
Within the last days I managed to add mmap-implementation which instead of opening/reading/closing cache files all the time maps them into shared memory and then just uses that memory. It seems to increase performance (of reading icons from the cache) by about 30%. More than I anticipated.
In the end I managed to get in all the features and ideas that I had, so the work on the icon/pixmap cache can be considered complete now. There might of course be some smaller performance tweaking and bugfixing and apidocs additions and so on, but I don't expect to do any bigger changes.
It also means that if you see a bug concerning icon loading or pixmap cache (I hope you won't ;-) then report it. Either contact me directly or add a comment here or whatever.
I still haven't gotten to doing the final benchmarking... maybe at the end of this week or in the next one...